User Charges and Water Meter Policy - Effective from Date 01-04-2015
As a part of achieving targeted reforms under JnNURM to recover full O&M charges as per the timeline, new user charges and water meter policy is effective since Date 01-04-2008. User charges are reviewed and revised as per the requirement of the policy. Accordingly, "Water & sewerage charges" are fixed for budget year 2015-16 as per General Board Resolution date 03-02-2015.
As per existing water meter policy
- All new residential and religious purpose water connections above 15mm (1/2 ") dia size shall compulsorily be metered.
- All existing water connections prior to Dt.01-04-2008, above 15mm (1/2 ") dia size for residential and religious purpose shifted to metered connections.
- All non-residential, commercial and industrial connections above 1/2" size are already metered as per water meter policy prior to Dt.01-04-2008.
For all 15 mm (1/2") dia. water connections for residential & religious purpose properties registered in the jurisdiction of Surat Municipal Corporation, annual "Water & Sewerage Charges" shall be levied per family as mentioned in Table-1-A below:
For Residential and Religious purpose only (Table - 1-A)
(in sq. meters)
Annual Water and Sewerage charges per family (in Rs.)
Annual Water and Sewerage charges per family (in Rs.)
|501 and above||7500||7500|
Water & Sewerage Charges for newly merged area of city:
- In the area of city which has been declared as "water zone", where SMC provides water by stand-posts or tanker and where GWSSB or erstwhile Gram Panchayat or Nagarpalika provides water supply, all the residential as well as non-residential properties will be charged 50% water and sewerage charges as mentioned above till new water supply and drainage scheme is commissioned in the said area.
- In the area of SMC, which has neither been declared as "water zone" nor been provided with water supply by SMC/GWSSB/ Gram panchayat/ Nagarpalika, no water and sewerage charges will be levied.
- Water and Sewerage charges will not be applicable for agricultural plot.
- New Water Supply Schemes are being implemented at present under JnNURM/ Swarnim Jayanti Yojana (SJMMSVY) for newly merged areas of the city. This scheme is designed for 24x7 water supply. Hence, as a part of reform process to recover full OandM expenses to be incurred in this water supply scheme, it is decided to install water meters on all the water connections including 0.5" size for all types of usage of water. Water meters will be installed on all consumer connections by SMC but the expenses to purchase and maintain this meter will be either levied from the consumers or will be charged as water meter rent from the consumers.
- "Water and Sewerage Charges" will be applicable as per Table-2 for residential and religious purpose and as per Table-3 for all non-residential connections but only after new 24 x 7 water supply and drainage schemes are fully operational in that area.
- Till new water supply scheme is not operational on 24x7 basis, for limited period "Water and Sewerage Charges" will be applicable as per Table-1-A above. Until water supply is started in the new area, water and sewerage charges will be 50% of charges as mentioned in Table 1-A.
For 15 mm (1/2") size water based commercial & industrial purpose connection:
- Effective from Dt.01-04-2012, all new 15 mm (1/2") size water based commercial and industrial connections will be compulsorily metered and volumetric based charges will be applicable as per Table-3.
- Till water meters are installed on all existing water based commercial and industrial connections, "Water and Sewerage Charges" will be levied as per Table-1-B. After water meters are installed on the existing connections, volumetric based charges will be applicable as per Table-3.
- Upon installation of meter on existing connections, Water and Sewerage charges will be levied as per rates prescribed in Table-3 but same will be compensated for the proportionate duration of year for annual water and sewerage charges.
For Non-residential purpose (Table - 1-B)
|Carpet Area (in sq. meters)||Annual Waterand Sewerage charges (in Rs.)
|Annual Waterand Sewerage charges (in Rs.)
For all water connections above 15 mm (1/2") size - Volumetric basis as per meter:
- As a part of achieving targeted reforms under JnNURM to achieve the target of 100% metering as per the timeline and for conservation of water and to create public awareness to control the wastage of water, new user charges and water meter policy is effective since Dt.01-04-2008. Accordingly, "Water and sewerage charges" are fixed for budget year 2015-16 and will be applicable as per type of usage as below.
- For all Residential and Religious purpose water connections above 15 mm (1/2") size connections, "Water and sewerage charges" will be applicable as per Table-2 below:
Residential and Religious purpose Water and Sewerage Charges Table-2
|For monthly consumption up to 30000 liters per family||For monthly consumption of 30001 to 45000 liters per family||For monthly consumption of 45001 to 60000 liters per family||For monthly consumption of 60001 and more liters per family|
|Charges per 1000 liters per family (in Rs.)|
|5||2.0" and above||4.50||4.50||12.00||6.00||12.00||9.00||12.00||12.00|
For all Non-residential purpose water connections above 15 mm (1/2") size connections, "Water & sewerage charges" will be applicable as per Table-3 below:
Non-Residential purpose Water & Sewerage Charges: 2015-16
|Type||Sr. No||Purpose of Usage||Charges Per 1000 Liters (in Rs.)|
|(A)||1||Premises for Public institutional services like Bus, Railway, Gujarat Electricity Board, Surat Electricity Company, Banks.||20.00|
|2||General(non water based) Industries like power looms/ Diamond/jari -Kasab/Work shop||15.00|
|3||Temporary water connection for non-commercial, individual construction purpose.||20.00|
|(B)||1||For Halls and Vadi's used for social Functions.||15.00|
|2||Properties like Dispensary, Hospital, Nursing Home, Maternity Home, Dispensary Chemist etc related with medical services,||14.00|
|5||Private swimming pools||32.00|
|6||Gymkhana and Sports Club||32.00|
|7||All Types of Restaurant and Canteens (inclusive of Tea /Snacks /Farsaan shops )||20.00|
|8||Properties like nursery, plantations activity used for commercial use||25.00|
|9||Properties used for Residential use for Private/Limited company.||20.00|
|(C)||1||Soft Drinks/Soda manufacturing organizations.||27.00|
|2||Ice Cream /Ice manufacturing organization.||27.00|
|3||Cold storage Plant||27.00|
|4||Central Air condition plant.||27.00|
|5||Cinema / Theatre||27.00|
|6||Film processing /sound studios/Film laboratory||27.00|
|7||RCC/PCC Materials and marble Mosaic tiles manufacturing works.||27.00|
|8||Temporary water connection for commercial purpose constructions.||27.00|
|9||Temporary Water connection for Public Fair, Function, Exhibition||27.00|
|10||All Types of Hotels - up to three - stars.||27.00|
|(D)||1||Dyeing & Printing houses. (Except Pandesara GIDC)||27.00|
|3||Water park/Amusement park||27.00|
|(E)||1||Commercial purpose /shops other than mentioned above.||12.00|
|(F)||1||For Educational institutions||8.00|
|(G)||1||For Residence purpose. Outside city area.||15.00|
|2||For commercial purpose Outside city area.||30.00|
|3||For Industrial purpose Outside city area.||36.00|
Minimum user charges applicable for different purpose & size (above 0.5" size) shall be as follows. 2015-16
|Sr.No.||Connection Size (in inch)||Monthly Minimum User Charges (in Rs.)|
|For area inside city||For area outside city|
|For Residential and Religious purpose||For Non-resi./ comm. / industrial purpose||For Residential and Religious purpose||For Non-resi./ comm. / industrial purpose|